Thursday, January 10, 2013

a DIY yoga mat strap


After purchasing a new yoga mat for my "soon to be sister in law" I decided that I wanted to try and make the gift a little more special by adding a handmade carrier. I have seen a few different options for toting a yoga mat and the strap variety seem to be the easiest to use... this is great because they are also the easiest to make! I was able to create this yoga mat strap with left over fabric and a few office supplies.


To start, I measured the length of fabric that I would need to wrap around each end of the mat and leave enough slack in between to go over my shoulder. I did this using twine. Then, I cut two pieces (in order  to get the appropriate length) of fabric about 6" wide. These two pieces were then sewn together to create one long strip.


In order to make the edges of the strap finished, without turning it inside out, I folded the fabric in half, ironed it, opened it back up and folded each edge into the middle. I ironed the outside edges and then folded and ironed the whole length one more time. To create a finished end, I carefully tucked each end in.


I sewed around the perimeter of the strap, taking extra care to make sure all of the fabric was tucked at the corners. I then made loops by folding each end down and sewing it in place. Large ring clips fit perfectly on each end.


The strap easily loops around each end of the mat and when it is lifted the weight of the mat keeps the strap secure.


This strap was so simple to make! All in all, about 30 minutes! I love that it is small enough to toss in a gym bag or even your coat pocket during a yoga class, and my sister in law loved that it was made just for her!

Linking Up

In Designer Jeans
The DIY Dreamer

2 comments

  1. Not only is this cute.. it's SUPER useful!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up tomorrow evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent website you have here, so much cool information!.. Vibrant Yogini

    ReplyDelete