Monday, November 12, 2012

Kids shelving...


When researching ideas for Andrew's "big big room" I came across the clever idea of using outdoor flower boxes for shelving. I knew this would be an excellent way to a) fill some wall space,    
b) contain/display a few stuffed animals, and c) keep a few delicate items out of reach!  I was surprised how difficult it was to find these items, but ended up having luck snagging a few at Homesense for only $12.99.


I used drywall plugs to hang the shelves, but was not able to utilize the walls studs. Even so, they are incredibly sturdy and I have no concerns with piling them high with more books!


Andrew is just now getting to the age where he enjoys longer stories. However, I don't exactly trust him to not rip the pages. So for now these will be kept out of reach for supervised story times. All of his favourite board books are organized into baskets in the unit below these shelves.


Since these baskets are meant for outdoor use, they are a little rough. I had originally planned to keep them lower to the ground so that Andrew could take out his animals, but I was worried he might get scratched. I like the rustic look of the wrought iron but it would also be easy to spray paint these shelves if you wanted a lighter look. All in all, this was a quick and inexpensive way to add more storage and fill a large wall in the little man's room!


Linking Up


3 comments

  1. This is such a brilliant idea - and would look great in a kitchen ( dishes ) or bathroom too -
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time!!!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by "...and away we go!!" You are officially my first non friend/mom commenter!

      Delete
  2. Love the look Leanne, a good way to keep books on display and out of reach until Andrew has Mom or Dad to read with him (or Nana).

    ReplyDelete