Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A family antique...


Earlier this summer I made the decision to learn how to sew! Inspired by many adorable DIY projects on Pinterest I started perusing the beautiful fabrics on Tonic Living, a wonderful website with beautiful coordinating fabrics. I also enlisted the help of my best friend, who is a self taught seamstress extraordinaire! I don't own a sewing machine, but remembered that my mother in law had mentioned that she had an old one stored in the basement. When I asked about it, she gladly pulled it out for me to play around with. When she took it out of the carrying case I was blown away! It is absolutely beautiful!


This sewing machine was given to my Mother in Law by her grandfather for her birthday, sometime in the '60s. It is in wonderful condition, and after a quick tune up is running just as well! This is a "featherweight" model, only 11 lbs, which makes it ideal for moving to and from different work areas. It has, however, found a rather permanent location on the desk in our living room (it is just too pretty to hide away!).


It also has a fold up work surface, which means it fits perfectly on the upper shelf of our small desk, leaving plenty of room for work space.


I've learned the basics, started a few projects and had a lot of fun with my new hobby! Stay tuned for posts about the finished products!


1 comments

  1. Can't wait to see your creations, I am sure you will have lots of fun with your new hobby.

    ReplyDelete