Thursday, March 14, 2013

Jessica's DIY Sign

I'm happy to say that Jessica from, Prairie Girl to Southern Belle, is hear today to share a great DIY project with us!

I've had a sign on top of the kitchen cabinets for years now. It was time for a change.  If I had a Silhouette, I would have pulled it out and whipped out some vinyl, to do this project quickly. But you know what? It wouldn't have turned out quite the same.  Don't get me wrong! A Silhouette is still on the top of my wish list!
Last week, when I was painting and touching up some furniture, I also painted that brown sign my favorite creamy white, December Starlight.  I laid the sign down on two small paint cans so I could paint it easily on the sides.

When the kiddos went to bed, I played around with some fonts on the computer and printed out my saying. I laid it out to get the placement right.  And if you're wondering, yes, that P does look like it's too far away.  I didn't notice it until the project was done...I blame it on the DayQuil.
To get the letters traced on the wood there are probably a number of ways you could do this. Here's how I did it. I traced the letters on the back side of the papers (put a piece of paper underneath or the ink will be on your table), flipped them over and set them right side up on the sign. Then I traced them on the right side. The pencil on the reverse side of the paper will transfer to the wood. In the photo below, I had already gone back and traced the letters with my Sharpie.

Then start filling them in. I didn't worry about it being perfect because I wanted to distress it later
Now the fun part. I just took my good ol' sanding block and sanded away. The result is exactly what I had in mind. Kind of rough and faded looking. Love it! And it was free! It doesn't get better than that!

Here it is hanging above the kitchen windows in our 'breakfast nook'.  I had a picture of the whole area but it's so cloudy and it just didn't quite turn out.
This project was so easy and fun that I can already see a few more of these in my future!

Thanks so much Jessica! The sign is fabulous! Don't forget to check out more of Jessica's great DIY projects on her blog, Prairie Girl to Southern Belle!

Dry Erase Calendar
Here are a couple of my favourites!
 
DIY Goo Gone

0 comments

Post a Comment